01296 738 668

UK Leaving EU Single Market

The UK is leaving the EU single market and customs union. Businesses will see changes from 1st January 2021. With just 80 days left of the transition period have you prepared?

Businesses that import and export goods

From 1st January 2021 the process for importing and exporting goods will change. If you receive goods via post a declaration on a Single Administrative Document may be required.

All goods arriving in the United Kingdom by post from any country outside the EU must be declared. In most cases this means the sender making a Customs declaration on a form which is attached to the package. However certain goods must be declared on a SAD.

Read more here

The process for exporting goods to the EU will also change. If you send items via post to any country outside UK and EU, including the Special Territories, you must complete and affix a customs declaration (CN22, CN23 or a Parcelforce Worldwide Despatch Pack incorporating the CN23) which you can obtain from the Post Office. Any necessary preference certificate or licence should be attached to the outside of the package and clearly identified before handing it over for post.

You do not need a customs declaration for packages sent to a country within the EU.

Read more here

Find out how to declare goods from 1 January 2021

From 1 January 2021, you’ll need to make customs declarations when exporting goods to the EU. These rules currently apply to exporting goods to the rest of the world, including Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

You can make the declarations yourself or hire someone else such as a courier, freight forwarder or customs agent.

New rules are being introduced for goods, it may mean you will need export licences or certificates, or that the marking/labelling may need adapting for food, plant seeds and manufactured goods.

Will you need a EORI number?

From the 1st January 2021 you will need an EORI number starting with GB to export goods.

For further advice contact AJR & Co Ltd